Saturday 18 May 2013

Best Host Mom an Au Pair could get!


I moved to Sydney from California just after one week after completing my high school. I was happy as well as confused at the same time. I was happy as I was about to step into a new family but I was confused about how they would treat me, whether they would think of me as an experience Au Pair or a new member to their family.
My mom always said I was a lucky child. Luck always accompanied me in all major and important situations of my life. Luck moved with me to Sydney too.

My Host family had three members and one yet to step into the beautiful world. The host mom, Mia was three months pregnant when I moved with them; her husband, Harvey worked in some law firm and they had a naughty but handsome two year old boy, Steve.
I was given my own room and it had all the stuff that I needed. The day I reached, Mia arranged a small dinner with two families and their professional Au Pairs from neighborhood. It was an evening well spent. I came to know a lot about my host family that night. They were a little family who knew how to enjoy with others.  Those Au Pairs gave me some basic tips for this new start of my life.
Mia loved to read. She gave me some pretty good books to read in free time. She was a lady with elegance, smartness, intelligence, street smartness and an amazing sense of humor. Steve loved me. We would play and study together every day.  As Mia was pregnant, she used to stay at home. She always made me feel like a family member. Every day we all would have dinner and then watch TV together. I used to talk to Mia and Harvey like a daughter and they would advise me like my parents. They welcomed me with their arms wide open.


On my birthday, she cooked my favorite dish and made my favorite chocolate fudge cake. We went out in for a movie and dinner in one of the restaurants that served best pizza. They didn’t give me a single moment to miss family and friends.
The time came when the new baby girl, Kate stepped into the world. She was as pretty as Mia. With Kate, came new responsibilities but Mia always made sure that I was getting time for my activities. We celebrated many occasions together and clicked innumerous pictures. Steve and Kate were lucky to have such an amazing mom.
The year went away in a flick. I had to shift to another family. It was heartbreaking to leave them but it was something I knew from the start. I was blessed to have such an amazing host family and host mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment